Thursday, August 30, 2018

From A to Z 2012 'O'

From A to Z in 2012


Poetry is, of course, a very diverse genre with many varied intricacies. I tend to stay away from free verse as a general rule. When I use that term I am talking about poetry that doesn’t employ any conventional aspects of poetry like rhyme, meter or alliteration.


The truth is the majority of the poetry I write is technically free verse. However, they abide by rules and employ poetic techniques. This poem is an exception. Still, I like how it came out and I hope you do too.


Oblivion

By John Kaniecki

She says “come over here”
while her finger seductively motions a man who carefully had only
one drink, which was gin and tonic full to the brim,
with almost no tonic.

“It won’t hurt to talk,” he says as he limps over
his physical impediment a thorn in the flesh
despite the fact that he has never read scripture
and wouldn’t know Paul from Andy Warhol
hobbling because of driving after only three beers
and the bold realization, “it won’t hurt to drive”

He wonders should I hide my gold wedding band
like her low cut blouse and skin tight leopard spotted pants
suggests she cares any more than
a spider in a sticky web ready to feast
on a fly consisting of a man with a fat wallet, a fat gut and a fat wife
three strikes and your out but at least he’ll score
if he remembers anything besides overwhelming shame

Click Here


Click Here
Click Here
Click Here
Click Here
Click Here
Click Here

Click Here

No comments:

Post a Comment