Saturday, February 10, 2018

"That Now The Dead Have Come To Die" by Kane Nayi - Contest Entry


That Now The Dead Have Come To Die

by Kane Nayi

That now the dead have come to die
I ask, was it all worthwhile?
those walks on loop
the melancholia obsession
the endless train of cigarettes, and the cheap bottles of rum
Oh, the rum!
so sweet, and splendid
my greatest friend
my savior of nights
I regret not one sip of your
flowing spring which
found me
while lost
somewhere in the desert
and to those streets I trekked every night
those fights won and lost
the loves, found and annihilated
that old church swing set
those sleepless Oklahoma nights
that Texas sunset on the man made lake
the last time seeing my mother
those long talks with the moon and stars
that vacation on South Padre island
the birds outside my bedroom windows
the songs, and the films, and the books, and the paintings
the streets we rode, like waves
in our concrete Midwest ocean
I raise a glass to you all
that now the dead have come to die
I turn away from the light
and let it burn forever.

9 comments:

  1. That was breathtaking... Very Beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thoughtful, original, insightful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing this part of your beautiful soul. Just like life it’s got it’s ups and downs and sometimes you need to write about it to sort through the feelings about what life has thrown at you.

    ReplyDelete