Tuesday, September 1, 2026

A Poet's Pain

 A Poet's Pain

 

When I received my high school directory I listed myself as a poet

At the time I considered my selection better than unemployed or mentally ill

I always hurt it just took a long time to realize my inner agony was abnormal

That the abuse, teasing, mockery, bullying wasn't universal

Now I seek to liberate the world from every single force of oppression

I have learned reality and have digested the brutal lesson

So I write poetry hoping to inspire

That somehow in a spiritual way to ignite a wholesome fire

That among the world there should be an ambiguous equality

That the culture of 'third world' nations is perhaps more valid than our own

From selfish rebels to world exploiters so this nation has grown

I take no pride in Native American genocide

Go to the source any force of evil must be denied

And in the process rip to shreds the smug arrogant pride

That self aggrandizing declaration that this nation can military intervene

Wherever, whenever and against any enemy its foggy eyes have seen

It is not okay to spend trillions to kill in aggressive war

While billions suffer from hunger and people are poverty stricken poor

I have meandered of off the straight and narrow far from my rhymes

I focus on meaning, obvious as a June moon bellowing with sacred chimes

There is a righteousness and war is one of man's foulest crimes

Yet in easy contentment society is placated into a deceitful lull

It's not my kids going to die; besides such things are out of my control

I believe in the masses, I believe in the power of Love, I believe in the example

I have fought the system claw and fang though I am presently obscure

When motivated millions make many moves the impact is sure

I throw my withered scarecrow frame across the gears of the machine

For the demagogues are blaspheming in heated rhetoric of hatred most obscene

With blood and oil they grease the slashing juggernaut

Killing you dirty or killing you clean do you know what I mean?

And in the midst of the red, red rain

A cry asking why so many innocents must perish and die

I observe the cruelty in society how lives are flawed, empty and vain

From deep within wickeder than the worst sin is a poet's pain

For I have no power to make a change but rather to simply explain

So I write and fight in words that shimmer and glimmer in delight

For with hope I think about the slim chance that I just might

Inspire an entire generation to be conscious of the world's ways

That the government is not our masters and only our ideals should we praise

All in all leading the call so that we may arrive collectively at better days

While that dark choice seeks to silence my voice quoting 'you are insane'

A poet's pain 

POLISHED FRAGMENTS

Poet To The Poor


No comments:

Post a Comment