Monday, August 13, 2018

A Very Important Question



I have something very important to say today. We are all involved in a struggle. Some of us suffer more than others. As one who suffers from mental illness, I am acutely aware of the challenges of everyday life. I have done years of ministerial work trying to help all people including the downtrodden.


I was searching for something to post today and I came across this poem. 

In The Sight Of The Lord

Hustling home in frosty rain
On the street I gaze upon a woman
Huddled over a grate
Seeking warmth to comfort
Her weary soul, her tired body
As drops of water drip down her gray hair, she shudders
Rain falling echoes in my ear
As the words of the Lord ring loud and clear
"Whatever ye have done unto least of them"
"You have done unto me"
This woman, this stranger
Somebody’s daughter, perhaps a mother
In most desperate need
Beloved in the sight
Of the Lord

The question I ask you

What are we to do?


It is a poem that I wrote six years ago that was part of a submission to be rejected. I wanted something to say and I stumbled across it. Perhaps some of you have never experienced New York City. If you haven’t let me assure you that the scene you see in the poem is real.

In Manhattan, some of the richest people in the world will walk by some of the poorest. The richest pay millions of dollars for their penthouse with a view, while the poorest have only the clothes on their back and the scant possessions they can carry. The poem ends with a call to action.

There are no easy answers but a step towards kindness to one another is an obvious and easy first step. “Do unto others as you would have done unto you.”

Please share this post if it has meaning to you.

Please check out my book. "Poet To The Poor"  





No comments:

Post a Comment