Sunday, April 15, 2018

"APOCALYPSE 1914-18" by Fred McIlmoyle - Contest Entry

APOCALYPSE 1914-18

I have heard the soldiers singing,
Pure young voices strong and true.
I have heard them speak of valour,
Each man the others must outdo.

I have watched them march to battle
With final thoughts of home and wives,
Realising - for the first time,
They now are fighting for their lives. 

I have seen life standing – leering
While death fondled his barbarous knife;
Watched Apocalyptic horsemen thunder,
savagly through fading halls of night.
I have watched the victims stiffen,
Petrified by loathsome scenes
Sheering through this realm of terror
A figment of evil, demented dreams.

I have wept for souls returning,
Floundering relics of mankind,
Condemned to a living hell they wander 
Seeking a peace they cannot find.

And on.. and on.. time after time.


Fred McIlmoyle

No comments:

Post a Comment