Friday, April 27, 2018

"Mr. Pineapple" By Kanyell Gray - Contest Entry

Mr. Pineapple
By Kanyell Gray

Mr. Pineapple you say ?

Oh I remember that fruit.
I remember the sweetness he gave Grandma’s Ham on the Holidays.
Mmmm mmmm mmmm.

The memories you brought back when you mentioned his name.
Ohh Mr. Pineapple; how sweet you were.
Grandma introduced you to us a long time ago.
But, I ain’t seen you around in years.

Well, not since they put you inna can.
I remember seeing you in that can and smiling.
It was like I was being reunited with a lost cousin.

I wore you around my finger, and you sang to me. 
You sang the  same songs that grandma sung while she cooked.
Ohh how I miss the way you danced on that ham.

You danced like folks use to  danced to those jamming jazz tunes, way before grandma’s time.
I wish I had the rhythm you had, how jealous I became.
Mr. Pineapple where you stay ?
Can I visit ?
The way you brought the family together;
I miss it.

No comments:

Post a Comment