Sunday, April 15, 2018

"Shotgun Love" by Michael Eaton - Contest Entry

Shotgun Love 

by Michael Eaton


Judy was my first love 
at age six a love so pure 
I had no name for it. 
We played show and not-tell 
in the dirt underneath 
my wood-frame home and 
once were naked together 
in a field of cotton with 
stalks thinner than our 
legs and boles whiter 
than our small sexes. 

We went to church on 
Sundays and she once asked 
what I thought of our being 
naked and I said I knew 
God didn’t like it, 
but I did. 

Mother ended our romance 
when she heard of Judy 
taking me into her parents’ bedroom 
with the blinds dirty yellow and torn 
where I was taking off clothing 
but she wanted to show me 
her father’s shotgun and 
pulling the trigger blew 
a hole in the wall, much 
larger than my head. 

Even if she had wounded me, 
I would have forgiven her, 
because never again has love 
smelled so much like gunpowder, 
nor has nakedness been so loud. 



No comments:

Post a Comment