Sunday, April 29, 2018

"One of the reasons we live" by Khanya - Contest Entry

One of the reasons we live

by Khanya

How fortunate are we to have you?
Scientists call you a mixture of gases
Some people call you a light breeze
Others call you a colorless, odorless, tasteless mixture
But I call you one of the reasons I live
My diaphragm expands and contracts
My nostrils pull you in to my body
My heart would burst from its chambers if you were not present
My brain would shrink
My body then collapse
You have stuck around since life on earth began
Without you doom would spread over our blue planet
Lush green leaves and fascinating flowers beautify earth
But without you they tire, grow old too quickly and pass on the soil
The whole animal kingdom would pass on the soil
There’d be no snorting, growling, screeching, hissing, purring, chirping clicking and the like
This instant extinction will make the earth lifeless, a desolate oblate spheroid
Fire! You support combustion right?
You contain the element oxygen
Without you others would not burn wood for cooking or heating water
Without you vehicles would not move since those tires would be deflated
Without you water would be poison:
Without you surgeons would lose their patients
I wish people would cherish you
And stop killing you slowly
Feeding you every day impurities that make you dangerous to nature
This has to stop
You need a quick vacuum before it is too late
Thank you for giving animals life
Thank you giving vegetation life
Thank you for giving humans life
Thank you for giving future generations life too

No comments:

Post a Comment