Saturday, September 12, 2026

Mother In The Nursing Home

Mother In The Nursing Home

 

Mother was a rock of support

Always advocating for my welfare

A fierce defender

Defeating the number one contender

Apathy

She saved all of my writings in the attic

Considering them precious and priceless

Who knows one day?

Still it is the nature of humanity

To soften in the latter years

To fall into the hands of frightful fears

And so Mother was in the nursing home

After the breast cancer, the pace maker and the stroke

We sadly learned the cancer had returned

A terminal diagnosis

Six days a week I visited her

Only absent Wednesday as Sylvia and I went to Bible study

An hour after work it was my steadfast duty

I'd sit at her side making my presence known

Lord have mercy on those abandoned alone

We'd watch the nightly news and I'd depart

Saturday Sylvia and I were all day by mother

My wife, the marvelous cook she is, would make

Piping hot chicken soup from fresh whole chickens

Enough to last the week through

Delicious and nutritious

And Sundays it was between services

To stay a couple of hours

I did all in my power that I could do

I remember the last days

They sent mother home to die

Marianne was by her side

I got the call at four a.m. in the morning

My heart descended below the depths of Sheol

The rock had been grinded to dust

Mother had died 

I cried

There is a solace

I was there when she needed me

A true champion she lived six months more

Then the doctors predicted

She was in the fight of her life, for her life

I did not repay what she gave me

Love keeps no score


 POLISHED FRAGMENTS

Poet To The Poor


No comments:

Post a Comment