Friday, February 2, 2018

"My mother was lying" by Faleeha Hassan - Contest Entry

My mother was lying
by Faleeha Hassan

When my father was wearing a military uniform
And went out before sunrise
So, no one could see him
My mom kept smiling for the length of his absence
So, we didn’t see her choking back tears
And when we missed him
She told us
He is going to return the meaning to our map
We thought he was a cartographer
And when my father returned without an arm
She told us
He gave his arm to the homeland
And the homeland gave him a medal
We didn’t know the meaning of war
Until we grew up
That like plastic bottles
The tyrants had recycled our lives during their many war
Now I understand
Why my mom was lying
And why when my father returned from the war
He didn’t recognize his face in the mirror

No comments:

Post a Comment