Thursday, May 31, 2018

Second Place "Weighing Two Feathers on the Soul Scale" by Joanie HF Zosike

For second prize there is another free verse poem. The poem is organized into couplets and there is again a sense of rhythm. Certainly, some form of control is exhibited by Joanie in her use of syllables.

The poem works well on a very elemental level of communicating a story. Joanie then uses the story to bring in broader elements of life. The social elements are much to be desired as in the lesson that is taught.

I like the word choice of using descriptive words but those in most people’s vocabulary.

Finally, there is the brevity of the poem. Poems work best with the minimum amount of lines needed to accomplish what the artist intends to do. 


Weighing Two Feathers on the Soul Scale
January 28, 2017
Joanie HF Zosike

For the Dreamers

Swiped my card to enter the subway—
(Oh, come on, cut me some slack)

Heard a woman's plaintive voice
"Will somebody please let me in!”

She stood on the outside of the gate
I cringed, then went to see what was up

"Will you please help me?" she pled.
(I can, but we might get busted)

“Here goes nothin’," I pushed gingerly
And Lo! The door alarm kept silent

With hurried thanks, she flew downstairs,
Hurled an explanation over her shoulder

"I got a deeply bad feeling," she wept
"I'm worried my baby's in trouble."

She took off like a Syria-bound US drone
Punctuated her sprint with beads of worry

Was she concerned over a child?
A lover? A former version of herself?

I'll never know. I only know this:
When someone knocks urgently

At the door, asking for help,
The thing to do is,

                                    let her in

3 comments:

  1. Thank you, John, for the second place shout-out. Much appreciated. May we yet live in a peaceful world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first weighing equipment was introduced somewhere between 2400 to 1800 B.C.E. in the Indus River valley. Advanced electronic weighing devices were introduced around 1940s. best weighing scale in india

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete