Wednesday, May 2, 2018

Moving Along - Thoughts On The Future Of Turn A Page Or Two

Certainly, exciting things are happening here on “Turn A Page Or Two.”

First of all the blog has just gotten it’s 50,000th hit. Last month was a record high of 11,225 hits. With every month increasing in hits the future looks bright.

We just closed the entry period for The Great $100 Poetry Contest. At first back in February I though the contest was going to be a dismal failure. In the first month, there were only nine entries. Though the contest was free, I think that certain stipulations were a great turnoff for many.

At that time I contemplated changing the rules. However, I didn’t think this would be fair for those already entered. Besides the whole thing was a learning experience and I don’t mind making mistakes if I can improve myself.

As time went, the entries trickled in. Then in the last two weeks came in nearly forty entries. I was delightfully caught by surprise. All in all, there were sixty two entries. I have yet to carefully read and digest all the material.

To all you entrants, please remember to follow the blog by submitting your email. It is how the winner is going to be announced. Also, promote your posts so you can get one hundred hits. These things are important. I hope to announce a winner by June 1, 2018. I may recruit a couple of people to dwindle down the entries. So it quite possible that in a couple of weeks I may present the top five or so poems.

The success of this first contest tempts me to have a contest with an entry fee. As I am thinking now the winner and myself would split the money collected. I need to give it more thought, but I am looking into the matter.

Speaking of money, I think that I will begin paying a nominal fee for stories. I hope to publish a story once a month and perhaps give a ten dollar honorarium. As a writer, I can appreciate the reward for a piece of art. I don’t think it is fair to use people’s stories without rewarding them. This wouldn’t apply to poetry as poetry is another creature. But maybe in the far future if God smiles on me and I am blessed with finances.  


Finally, I am thinking of creating my own poetry school. As such I am looking for students. If anybody has interest, let me know. There would be no charge, and we could chronicle your efforts on the blog. If you would like to enroll, send a note to peacepoems@mail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment