Saturday, May 19, 2018

"Lady Hannibal" by John Kaniecki


Lady Hannibal

Her voice rises loud
She is heard
Over the noisy crowd

Dark brown her smooth skin
Her word
Comes from deep within

Ancestors
Some humble, some brave
An Egyptian Pharaoh
And a galley slave

No justice no peace!
No justice no peace!!
The cries do not cease!

My blue eyes penetrate her soul
History, lessons, they guide
Lady Hannibal
I stand by her side

Bitter cold fingers numb
We speak bold
We shall overcome!
But out on the street
Without heat
We are so few
What can we do?

Lady Hannibal
Presses at my side
She flashes me a smile
My heart beats hot
And the bitterness is forgot
For a while

The tea touches the tongue
We congregate
None of us are young
We debate
Apathy, hopelessness, despair
Does anybody care?
If they do
Why are we so few?

Theories, opinions, thoughts, we exchange
The world is going to hell
We have to change, but how to break the spell?
I nibble on a cookie
Insatiable hunger
Desire does increase
NO JUSTICE NO PEACE!

Lady Hannibal breaks the gloom
Chasing away vultures of doom
We hang on every syllable
Food for the soul
Her laughing lips illuminate light
“How can we fail when we are in the right?”

Ghetto defender, warrior of the street
In winter freeze drawing the heat
Lady Hannibal has crossed the line
She has embraced the oppressed
And called them mine
Angel divine,
Demon too!
All depending on your point of view

Lady Hannibal she cannot fail
Poverty, brutality, ridicule, jail
Justice is an endless quest
Righteousness rewards no rest
Battle, war, it takes its toll
Perfection is an impossible goal
So we seek to rise above
In service to Love
  
Lady Hannibal I admire
Lady Hannibal I desire
Even if I were blind
I am sure I would find
Your light

Her voice is not alone
Our cries
Rise to God’s throne
Father in control
Bless Lady Hannibal
Make it right

For more revolutionary poetry check out "Poet To The Poor"


No comments:

Post a Comment