Tuesday, May 1, 2018

"An Empty Room" by Whitney Wiley - Contest Entry

An Empty Room

by Whitney Wile


I laid there at night, looking up at the ceiling, gazing with hollow eyes.
My thoughts rocked back and forth, back and forth, through invisible planes of anatomy not mine.
Untruth stabbing the truth,
real colliding with the fake,
A war of pretending raged on in my mind, ticking hours through the night.

Till slumber crawled down and kissed my cheeks with hot breath.
I slept in this moment like a brown grizzly.
While in my sleeper’s utopia you started stirring.
You're strong and ferocious, a soulless bastard you are.
Running in and out of me like a train in the night, charging to that oh so familiar destination.
You splashed down my leg onto the top layer of the mattress.
Like a proud Indian with his bow and arrow, marking the target the pride and precision.

Marinating there, whilst I slept, the aroma filled the room like songs from Marian.
And as the morning painted the night with its brush, I awoke to find you laying under me.
I sat up crying “No Justice!”, for you're in my room without a mutual consent.
I knew exactly what had taken place, because you, dear vileness, ceaselessly haunt me.
Without graciousness or hope, you have frequented this bedroom, attacking my body and all that I love.
Not a friend or companion can stand your stench, so they slide past here, with smiles and adieu.
All who know me, know you are here to stay.
I have no dignity as the liquid lays on the fabric,
So here we sit, you and I,
You’ll never go away, I won’t escape the curse.

Nothingness is all around me.

No comments:

Post a Comment