Sunday, August 1, 2021

“Sound Of Time”

 “Sound Of Time”

 

If I could hear the sound of time 

Or tell the next life’s rhyme

I would ever be ready 

To work & remain steady 

In this heavenly race

& avert the eternal blaze

 

If I could see what God holds next 

Or tell if he’s done weaving his nest 

I would cleanse myself 

& dust my dirty shelf

I’ll jump into this chance 

& worship my bones into a balance 

 

If I could gauge the length of my stay or tell

If I would soon become stale

& kiss the dust so early, with my name 

Burning off in a quick amber flame

I would spend my brief time having fun

Instead of working all my life under the sun

 

If I could hear from Cupid 

About how to fool in love & not be stupid 

In the sight of those who feign romance 

As a syndrome lovers choose for balance 

I would petal my wings over the woodlands

& grow a colorful duvets over my lover’s badlands 

 

If I could read the mind of wealth 

Or tell if it roots into the evil that’ll ruin my health 

If only I could tell for sure that this life is a dream

I would hurry my gait towards a nearby stream

& gather a handful of water to cleanse my sight 

So I can wake & see beyond this height


Biography:


Nwuguru Chidiebere Sullivan(he/him) is a keen writer of Izzi, Abakaliki ancestry. He is a Final Year Medical Laboratory Science Student. A Forward Prize nominee and the winner 2021, WAN--Cookout Poetry Prize. He is found of his poorly lit room where he tweets @wordpottersull1 and he believes that asking for a pact of light grows him into a greenhouse. He has works published or forthcoming at IS&T, The Shore, B’K Mag, Tilted House, Journal Nine, Sub-Saharan Mag, Analogies & Allegories. Wondrous Real Mag, Rulerless, The Deadlands and elsewhere.

Dear John,

Thank you so much!
This win is a huge one for me and I'm grateful for it.
 
Here's a linktree to some of my works and these works are the tip of the iceberg which I'm capable of:


The photograph will be posted if the nervous young poet can listen to simple instructions and send it as an attachment!


Dear John,
Thank you so much for the prize; I received it barely an hour of my announcement as the winner of the contest.
I can't express the joy I feel being rewarded a cash prize like this, but I'm forever grateful for this opportunity.

Sincerely,
Nwuguru Chidiebere Sullivan 


Dear John,

The genuineness of this contest is very commendable and it deserves much more publicity. Sincerely, I will love to contribute my earnest quota in ensuring that it gains enough publicity especially within the league of my fellow writers within Nigeria and even beyond.

I'm also urging anyone who's reading this comment to partake in this contest. 
I love the sincerity with which John is doing this selfless work of rewarding writers through cash prizes; of course, such a gesture will go a long way in motivating and encouraging the creative mindset of a writer.

Thank you, John for this beautiful opportunity.

Sincerely,

Nwuguru Chidiebere Sullivan 


1 comment:

  1. As the first winner of the Paid Poetry contest I just sent the young man $52.17 US currency via PayPal. I hope you will all see the excellency in this poem and what a bright future "Sullivan The Poet" has. Once our winner gets his money he is expected to confirm that and to say anything he wants about the contest or life in general for that matter.

    ReplyDelete