Sunday, January 7, 2018

Thoughts On Erica Garner

I must admit that I know very little of Erica Garner. I wasn’t even aware of her activism until her recent death. However the horrific death of her father, Eric Garner, which was captured on film, touched my heart in a deep and meaningful way. In fact Eric Garner was executed by the police state which oppresses his community.


I could not find the full length video but this video brings up relevant facts that give more of the story. In the original video while Eric Garner is being choked he gasps out repeatedly “I Can’t Breathe, I Can’t Breathe” Despite that fact that over a half dozen armed police officers are present the police officer continues to choke the life out of Eric Garner.

The sad story prompted me to write the poem that follows. 


Executed Without Trial: Alleged Crime Selling Cigarettes

by John Kaniecki

Eric Garner I watched you die
No loving farewells no last goodbye
Simply hanging out on the street
Getting hassled by the heat
"I'm tired of you messing with me"
A sentiment many say honestly
Cause in Amerikkka it's a sin
To have darker skin
Eric Garner you were assassinated
Oh how much you were hated
Cause those there to serve and protect
Showed contempt and no respect
Eric Garner I watched you die
But hear this anguished cry
Let it be known
You did not die alone
For in that choking hate
So died my hope for the state
Eric Garner we shall not forget
Another Emit Till to regret
Eric Garner I watched you die
But now is not the time to cry
They killed you in a hurry
Denied you a fixed jury
Now is the time to fight
Now is the time to make it right
We have a solution
It's name is revolution
Eric Garner I watched you die
The question is why?
I know the answer
And so do you sir
Racism is an institutionalized thing my friend
And it's high time to bring it to an end
Agree with me when I say
"It's got to end today"


The story of Eric Garner is nothing new. In the end the results are nothing more than a ‘legal lynching’. The police officer who executed Eric Garner is still employed. Now Erica Garner, Eric Garner’s daughter has passed on. As a result of her father’s death Erica took that giant leap into activism.

Things in this country will only get worse unless the people unite to make them better. If there was sufficient outrage I am confident that the murderer of Eric Garner would have been fired. This would have sent a message throughout the police force. As it is the end result was that the opposite message was sent to the police, that is, if you kill ‘we got your back’.

The story of Eric Garner is long from over, even though Erica too has passed on. I will never forget Eric Garner and the millions of others like him who were victims of class warfare, racism, militarism and the other evils this world holds in abundance. In my book, “Poet To The Poor, Poems Of Hope To The Bottom One Percent,” I remember some of our heroes present and past. Also I recognize common people from my own life, who most have never heard of. Finally there is just some fantastic poetry in it.

“Poet To The Poor” is part of my contribution to the struggle. I am excited to share it with the whole world, so they can clearly see which side I am on.



No comments:

Post a Comment