Monday, August 20, 2018

From A to Z 2012 'F'

From A to Z in 2012

Even in the simple, there lies something if one is perceptive, such as shopping at the produce store. Unfortunately so many turn their heads the other way and ignore even the obvious. It has been a long time since I have been to the produce store, I wonder how my amigos are.

Farmer’s Market on Route 46

By John Kaniecki

No hablais espanol
My talents lie in the heart not the brain
But I can say beinous dias
Me Yama Jaun
I can share a warm smile and a hand shake
They are my comrades
I don’t care what their papers say
Laws don’t make things right
It’s all Indian land as far as I’m concerned
And the sooner we get together the better
I am glad to see them and they are glad to see me
The men constantly fill the overcrowded racks
In with the good produce out with the bad
They work with utmost diligent speed
The woman are constantly checking out at the registers
They speak much more English
I draw a funny face on the credit slip
It makes the senoritas laugh
Did you get Labor Day off, I inquire?
“Yes” she says with a relieved smile.
With pay?
“No” the smile fades away
Heugla, Heugla, I say softly
The smile comes back, a glint of hope in her eyes
At night a white van comes for them all
They stand in line and punch out on a card
Then they are whisked away to the slums of Paterson
I wonder about many things
They works so hard, so long
If only I was fluent in Spanish

Please investigate, purchase and read my poetry books.


Click Here


Click Here
Click Here
Click Here
Click Here
Click Here
Click Here

Click Here

No comments:

Post a Comment