Monday, December 17, 2018

"The Wall" by John Kaniecki

I don’t recall the circumstances of writing this poem. It was jotted down in a notebook and then forgotten. Though I can’t say with one hundred percent certainty I believe it was inspired by the candidate Trump’s comments. The notebook was co-opted and taken for New Jersey Peace Action service. After lingering in the office for several months we started working on “Peace Poems.” This poem was then discovered and used as my contribution for the effort. 


The Wall

by John Kaniecki

There is a wall
High and tall
Between here and there
It keeps some out
It keeps some in
And without a doubt
It is a sin

It was built for the rich
By the hands of the poor
An ever-present reminder
Of perpetual war

It is a wall of hatred
It is a wall of grief
A cursed blasphemy
Of every sacred belief

Tear it down I say
Burn it till it is no more
On to a new day

Pristine and pure

Check out "Peace Poems." 


No comments:

Post a Comment